The world of modern finance is increasingly dominated by new technologies, mathematical models and sophisticated statistical techniques. Financial Engineering is an area of modern finance involved in the application of quantitative methods to the analysis of risks associated with financial investments and in forecasting events in the financial markets. Financial engineering deals with, among other things:
- construction of complex investment strategies,
- forecasting the prices of financial instruments,
- the development and pricing of financial instruments,
- risk management of financial investments,
- analysis and modeling of financial markets.
Areas of study
The program is based on four main areas:
- Risk management, selected courses: Financial risk management, Actuarial methods, Financial markets and instruments.
- Corporate finance, selected courses: Corporate finance, Advanced corporate finance, Long-term incentive schemes, Advanced financial analysis of enterprises
- Pricing of financial instruments, selected courses: Derivatives pricing, Interest rates modelling,
Stochastic finance in continuous time
- Investments, selected courses: Portfolio theory, Exotic options, Alternative investments, Hedge funds
Master program in the Financial Engineering prepares highly qualified specialists in this area: financial engineers prepared to work deal with investments’ analysis and risk management in banks and investment funds. Graduates of this course have a rare expertise on economic and financial modeling
- Central banks
- Financial supervisory authorities
- Investment funds
- Companies engaged in financial consulting
- Companies with divisions of financial analysis
Requirements for the candidates
Applicants should have completed undergraduate programs (bachelor or engineer degree). Preference is given to studies on economics or mathematics. It is required knowledge of English sufficient to communicate orally and in writing.
Candidates should have a basic knowledge about economics, mathematics and finance. In particular, it required a basic knowledge of economic theory (basics of microeconomics and macroeconomics). The candidate should know the basics of accounting and financial mathematics (time value of money, the rules for calculating interest and discounting). In mathematics the candidate is expected to have knowledge related to the basics of linear algebra and calculus.
- Knowledge of English that allows efficient communication
- Basics of calculus
- Basics of linear algebra
- Basics of financial mathematics (time-value of money)
- Basics of probability theory
The program Financial Engineering is led with the cooperation of Lisbon School of Economics and Management at the University of Lisbon and University of Lorraine in Nancy (France).
The international agreement involving three Master programs in Financial Engineering allows students to study a part of their degree at these universities and obtain double degrees (from Poznań University of Economics and Business and one of the partner universities).
Tuition and benefits
The program is tuition-free
More information on website: financial-engineering.ue.poznan.pl